Now that summer is winding down and Labor Day is fast approaching, we wanted to take some time to explain some tips that can help you avoid a DUI this holiday weekend.
Ways to Avoid a DUI Arrest
- Arrange a Sober Ride: You don’t want to wait until you’re at a Labor Day celebration to start thinking about finding a sober driver who can get you home safely. If you know you will be drinking this Labor Day weekend, start looking for a sober driver now so that you aren’t trying to secure a ride while you are intoxicated. Don’t make the assumption that just because you’re “buzzed” you can still operate a motor vehicle. Set up a sober ride home ahead of time.
- Use a Ride Service: There are many different types of ride services that can get you home safely this Labor Day Weekend. This includes taxi cabs and rideshare services like Uber or Lyft. Before you head out, make sure you have the phone numbers or apps that you need to hail a ride. If you can’t find a sober person you trust to drive you home, or if you end up stranded in an unfamiliar place, use a ride service instead of getting behind the wheel.
- Stay Overnight: Although this isn’t always the most ideal option, paying for a hotel room or making plans to stay with friends or family is still better than driving drunk and getting arrested for DUI. A DUI can end up costing you $10,000, which is substantially more than what it costs to pay for a hotel room.
- Host Your Own Labor Day Celebration: If you are unable to find a sober driver or someone to stay with, throw your own party and invite people over to your home. Hosting your own event will mean you don’t have to worry about finding a safe way home.
- Drink Responsibly: The best way to avoid a Labor Day DUI is to use common sense and avoid drinking excessive amounts of alcohol. Don’t underestimate the effects of alcohol and closely manage your consumption of alcoholic beverages.
What Should I Do If I’m Arrested for DUI?
Follow these instructions if you are stopped by police or arrested for DUI this Labor Day weekend:
- Always be polite to the officer who stops you
- Do not tell the officer that you have been drinking
- Refuse field sobriety testing
- Never attempt to resist an arrest
- Assert your right to silence
- Ask to speak with your attorney
Speak to a Murrieta DUI Lawyer
If you are arrested for DUI this Labor Day, you should immediately speak to our team of attorneys. We can review your case and help you protect your rights. We understand that good people sometimes find themselves in difficult circumstances, which is why we are here to help restore your reputation. Our lawyers will explore all of your options and will devise a strong defense strategy. Let us put our skills to work for you today.
Contact our Murrieta DUI attorneys to schedule your free consultation with our legal team.