What Can I Do If I Overpaid My Child Support?

Sometimes, the amount of monthly child support changes over the years. So what happens if you end up paying more than you should've?

Unfortunately, according to a case in New York. In Coull v. Rottman, a paying parent who takes credit for overpaying is a violation of public policy. Rather, the court said that the noncustodial parent can only recover overpayment that pertains to statutory add-on expenses, such as medical care and educational needs.

The following are two types of child support add-ons:

  • Mandatory add-ons, such as employment and educational costs, as well as health care costs
  • Discretionary add-ons, such as visitation travel expenses and even special needs care

At Hanson, Gorian, Bradford & Hanich, we are committed to helping you thrive after divorce. With more than five decades of collective legal experience, we are dedicated to protecting your rights and best interests in family court. No case is too big or too small for our firm to handle. So if you are facing a legal issue, put your trust in a firm with the experience, skill, and history of success to help obtain the most favorable results possible.

For more information, contact our Murrieta family law attorney and schedule a free consultation today.


Request Your Consultation Today

Premier Legal Services for Criminal & Family Law Matters
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.