Whenever you are dealing with a complex legal issue, like an annulment, it is advisable to hire an attorney you can trust. There are a few common misconceptions about annulments, especially in relation to the divorce process. Rather than dissolving a marriage, as divorce will do, an annulment will declare a marriage null and void. When you get an annulment, it will be as if your marriage never existed, legally speaking. In order to obtain an annulment, your marriage must satisfy one of a select few criteria, which can sometimes be difficult to prove. To ensure your annulment is handled correctly, it is important that you work with an experienced attorney who can advise and guide you.
About the Annulment Process
In order to obtain an annulment in California, you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Incest: The marriage was incestuous.
- Bigamy: One spouse was already married at the time the second marriage occurred.
- Underage: The person requesting the annulment was under the age of 18 when the marriage took place.
- Fraud: The marriage was the result of fraud.
- Physical Incapacity: One party was physically incapable of consummating the marriage.
- Unsound Mind: At least one party in the marriage is of unsound mind and therefor incapable of understanding the responsibilities of marriage.
- Force: The marriage was obtained through force or against the will of either party.
How an Attorney Can Help
When you hire a legal representative for your annulment, you will have reliable counsel throughout the legal process. Your attorney can help prove that there are grounds for an annulment according to state laws. Perhaps most importantly, your attorney will also be able to ensure that your annulment is filed correctly. Filing for an annulment through the court can be extremely complex and if you file incorrectly, it could damage your chances of obtaining the outcome you desire.
If you are considering seeking an annulment in Riverside County, California our firm can help. Contact Hanson, Gorian, Bradford & Hanich today to discuss your case with our firm.