Parental Relocation

Riverside Relocation Attorney

Counsel From a Riverside, CA Family Lawyer

A parent has duties and responsibilities in regard to his or her child. When parents divorce or are unwed and share custody of a child or are abiding by a visitation agreement, the decision of one parent to move away will need to be addressed from a legal standpoint. These cases are most often referred to as parental relocation or move away cases. If you wish to move to another county, state or country or your ex-spouse wishes to move away, it is important to discuss this matter with an experienced Riverside child custody attorney. Parental relocation cases are legally complex and may also have a serious impact on your relationship with your child.

Modifying a Custody or Visitation Ruling

A divorce lawyer from Hanson, Gorian, Bradford & Hanich can help you obtain a legal modification to your court orders in response to your new circumstances. Any verbal agreements made with your ex-spouse are not legally binding, but failure to abide by the custody agreement issued by the judge can result in a charge of contempt of court. It is often possible to negotiate a new agreement through mediation, but if you and the other parent cannot agree, the court will intervene.

Factors a judge will consider when modifying a custody agreement include:

  • The age of the child
  • The relationship of the child with each parent
  • The economic circumstances of each parent
  • The location of the new residence
  • The reasons for relocating
  • The circumstances of custody prior to the relocation

After taking all of these factors into account, the court will make a decision on whether or not to grant a modification to the custody agreement. The best way to be prepared with a solid case is to enlist the help of a qualified family law attorney before taking the matter to court.

Experienced Family Law Attorneys in Riverside

Moving a significant distance away may make your current custody or visitation arrangement difficult or simply impossible. In order to facilitate a move away from your former spouse or partner, it is imperative that you employ an attorney to help you through the legal issues involved in relocation. At Hanson, Gorian, Bradford & Hanich, our divorce lawyers are well versed in the laws and circumstances that will help make your move easier.

If you or your former spouse/partner is considering relocating, contact a Riverside child custody lawyer to help this process easier all parties involved.