Certificates of Rehabilitation

Certificates of Rehabilitation (COR)

Riverside & Murrieta Criminal Defense Attorneys – 951.687.6003

None of us are the same person we were yesterday, and yet people who have been convicted of a crime often feel as if they are always judged based on their past. California allows people in such situations to try to better their futures and clear their names through the use of certificates of rehabilitation (COR). If granted, a COR shows in an official manner that someone has adjusted and improved their behaviors since being convicted of a serious crime and has no intent to ever commit such a crime again.

Hanson, Gorian, Bradford & Hanich is a leading criminal defense law firm in Murrieta that can manage any sort of post-conviction or post-trial case, such as expungement and certificates of rehabilitation. If you want to know how a COR could help you set back down the path of a successful and stress-free life, then you should not hesitate to contact our team for a no-cost, no-obligation consultation.

Certificate of Rehabilitation Requirements

Not everyone who has been convicted of a crime in California can petition for a certificate of rehabilitation, but it is often always worth investigating. In general, California reserves CORs for convicted felons and people who have been convicted of certain misdemeanor sex crimes. Individuals who would be eligible for a COR must not be arrested, charged, or convicted for a crime of any kind for a certain amount of time in order for the COR petition to even be considered.

You can petition for a certificate of rehabilitation if you were:

  • Convicted of a serious felony, including many violent crimes, but have not been involved in any crimes for 9 years since completing your sentencing requirements.
  • Convicted of a misdemeanor sex crime, completed or currently meet all sex offender registration requirements, and have not been involved in crime for 10 years.
  • Convicted of most other crimes and have not been linked to criminal activity for 7 years since completing all sentencing requirements.

You must also have lived continuously within California for five or more years in order to file a petition for a certificate of rehabilitation. If you were convicted of multiple or particularly violent felonies, a judge can extend the five-year residency requirement to a greater length of time.

Who Decides a COR Case?

To begin a petition for a certificate of rehabilitation, which is not an expungement or record sealing but instead a decree of your own behavioral improvements, you need to file a completed application with the right county clerk or probation department. Assuming that you have met the eligibility requirements and your application was filed correctly, a Superior Court of California will eventually reach out to you to schedule a hearing date. During the hearing, you will need to prove to the court that you have not participated in criminal activity since your conviction and that you have indeed learned from the past. The Court will not approve a COR for anyone who might have a risk of recidivism, or the likelihood of recommitted the same or similar crimes.

Your Future is Our Priority – Call 951.687.6003

The Murrieta expungement lawyers at our firm are here to help you restore your good name with a certificate of rehabilitation. We take genuine pleasure in knowing that we have played an instrumental part in our clients’ lives and improving them with our legal efforts and guidance. To learn how to start removing the weight of a conviction off your shoulders, contact us today and discover what a truly compassionate and experienced legal team of Riverside criminal defense attorneys can do for you.